The Meme of Four: Lorcan succumbed to Karen who in turn was subverted by Librarian in Black... yada yada... heaven knows where these things start. My monthly report entry for the day will be to NOT propagate the infection further. Also, I must note that the number 4 is very bad karma in some Eastern Cultures, so readers in Asia should proceed with due caution.
Four favorite places to eat
- The Flying Fish (Seattle)
- Any noodle place in Japan (well, pretty much any place in Japan)
- Around any campfire
- My mother’s house in Savannah
Four Managers I’ve had at OCLC
- Mike McGill – hired me… wondered if I thought I might get bored in the library game?
- Martin Dillon – taught me how to contribute to the GDP
- Terry Noreault – gave me the latitude to take risks
- Lorcan Dempsey – arranged for me to take a sabbatical (there were other choices)
Four things I want to take home from Seattle
- A book-like-object on Identifiers
- A skin & frame kayak of my own making
- A mission
- An ache in my heart
Four favorite books
- To Kill a Mockingbird
- A Soldier of the Great War
- A River Runs Through It
- Love in the Time of Cholera
Four astonishing experiences in the service of metadata (I could list a hundred without stopping for breath)
- The Taj Mahal at dawn
- Sleeping in the 14th century on the Mongolian steppe
- Cinque Terra at any time of day
- Verdi at St Chapelle... I think it was Verdi... I was mostly looking at the windows
Four dumbest things I’ll admit to (here again... so many choices!)
- Walking to my Senior prom in my brother’s white sportscoat… without a date.
- Sure… we can get to the ski cabin in one hard day of skiing…!
- Buying an Italian leather couch… ok… I’ve said it... You were right, Marguerite… Its pretty, but its cold in the winter and you stick to it in the summer (but Buddy loves it!)
- See... we'll do this simple metadata set, and authors will write their own metadata...!
Four favorite pieces of technology
- Japanese chisels –sign all your stuff in blood... painlessly!
- Canon G-3 digital camera (since replaced with a G-6)
- 18 inch Laguna bandsaw – the sweetest power tool ever to taste my blood
- Any Lie Nielson tool
- Writing a statistics program (HP Basic) in less time than a single iteration of calculations by hand (1972)
- Starting the engine of a Volkswagen Rabbit I rebuilt... my blind mechanic determined that the pistons were ok by assessing them with his tongue. I wouldn't lie about such a thing!
- The Columbus Montessori Education Center Playground
- The hour of our first-born's birth: Thou shalt spend the rest of thy natural life in worry (and thats only if things go well)
So far, its working